Saturday, November 23, 2013

Introducing Mr.& Mrs. "Bitch Chore" Chart

I am proud to say I've designed and introduced this "Bitch Chore" chart in our household three weeks ago. At first, my husband thought I was out of my mind, or PMS-ing again. Then he noticed the maid flyer I had posted on our fridge. He knew I meant business this time.

The truth is that up until I started school at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, I had more spare time for cleaning. Lately though, I had been feeling frustrated about having to do most of the cleaning without it even being noticed. I'm now busier than ever juggling my school, the kids and our various activities, and I don't want to feel angry or resentful every time I wear those sexy green rubber gloves. The truth is, cleaning our place every week doesn't take THAT much time. It just takes a little motivation and organization.

So, I thought that instead of paying a maid, we could pay ourselves for the chores we do around the house, that way we would feel less frustrated and we could actually spend a little money on ourselves guilt-free. We are now putting our earnings in our "Health & Wellness Fund", so anything that helps improve our physical, emotional or spiritual health is an acceptable expense. For example, I've already earned enough to purchase a good quality natural supplement I will add to my morning smoothies. I can't use the excuse "I don't have the budget for this supplement", because I do now.

And how is my husband doing with this chart, you ask? Amazingly well! He earned more money than me on the very first week! ($23 versus $21,50) Why does this work so well with him? 

-First of all, with a clear description of everything that needs doing around the house, he is more inclined to pitch in. There is no nagging involved here, no obligation to do anything, and men love that! 

-Second, the more chores HE does, the less money I'll make and the less I will get to spend! I think it's in men's DNA to want to try and reduce their spouses spending in any way they can! 

-Third, I think it appeals to his competitive nature : he's going to show me how he can earn more than me! (and that's totally cool!)

-Fourth, it's a good feeling to add up the earnings at the end of the week and see how much he made. Cleaning the throne is way more fun when you make $2 / toilet!

-Fifth, I think he believes a beer making kit qualifies as a "spiritual health and wellness enhancer"...

Perhaps I'll let that one slip...as long as a trip to Cuba fits in the same category!

Warmly,
Lise (www.lisevilleneuve.com)

***For more health and wellness tips, as well as recipes, please create a username and password on my website (free and fast) and you will have instant access to this exclusive content.

No comments:

Post a Comment