Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I Have To Do WHAT???

As you may know, I have been studying holistic health and nutrition at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition since the end of October 2013. I've been learning a great deal and have been feeling quite comfortable absorbing all this new information at my own pace, in the comfort of my home (while homeschooling my kids at the same time). However, things are changing quickly now. 

I feel like I am being pushed off the passive student chair and kicked into real-life action! Already, after not even 4 months, I am required to start doing Health Consultations with clients! (I graduate officially in October 2014). Of course, we start practising gently with the people we trust the most -friends, family, fellow students- but I'm really just a step away from posting an add on Kijiji asking total strangers to sit with me for a free Health Consultation! I was a little resistant at first, (ok, very resistant). I have to admit I felt some fear and anxiety. I was not expecting the leap from student to consultant to happen so fast! But you know what? I'm ok with it now. Not sure how I'll feel when I sober up...(just kidding!)

Seriously, it took me a couple of weeks to get mentally prepared to go out and work in the "real world". I reviewed all the step-by-step instructions given by the school to lead a successful first consultation. I realized I actually do have a lot of information and insight to offer to people who are looking for ways to live happier, healthier lives. I plan on integrating some basic consciousness / awareness notions in my practice because I believe they play a key role in reducing stress and allowing true healing to happen. I also think I'm a good listener, and that's the most important part when working with clients.

So, last Sunday, I practised my very first health consultation with my "peer coach" -a friend who lives in my city who's also enrolled at the IIN. She said I did a great job. Of course, as a peer coach, it's her job to say that, but I trust her judgement! Tomorrow, I'll be practising with my sister-in-law. In a few days, who knows, I could be practising with you! (just email me if you are interested! www.lisevilleneuve.com)

What's amazing about the Institute for Integrative Nutrition is that they really offer a complete package that gives us all the tools to get out there and start working within one year. They cover all the bases -education, business, marketing, self-care, and they address the common insecurities most students face. They get us off our butts and into action in no time, and they empower us to make positive changes in the world by helping others help themselves. 

After I completed my degree in Psychology from University, I had no clue how to quickly turn that into a job. Thanks IIN, you have shown me exactly what I needed to learn...and it's not over yet...there are several months of training to go.

***By the way, for those of you possibly interested in being my "guinea pigs" for a free health consultation, let me just explain how this works: 1) You fill in a brief questionnaire (health history) that asks general questions about your health and diet. 2) You email it back to me and then we set a time to go over it together. 3) You basically get a chance to talk about yourself, your health goals and challenges (everything we discuss is confidential). 4) I listen, mirror back to you some of the things you said (it's sometimes surprising for some people to hear back what they just said), we identify your main health concerns together and then I tell you about my health coaching program. 5) You pretend to sign up, I congratulate you and we both fly off into Nirvana...well, something like that. Contact me at consciouslivingsolutions@gmail.com if you'd like more info about this free consultation. Thanks for being part of my training!***

Warmly,

Lise
www.lisevilleneuve.com
Join me on Facebook: Conscious Living Solutions


4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful read! As a fellow IIN member I could relate to so much of what you were saying :) Good luck on your journey! Feel free to reach out whenever xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! All the best for your health histories!

      Lise
      www.lisevilleneuve.com

      Delete
  2. Wow , I really resonated with this post. I've been so overwhelmed. I even started slipping into old thought patterns when I just thought of the idea of coaching clients! Thank you for this? You really helped me feel that it's okay to feel the fear. We just have to work through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could help a little Tara. I felt like I hit a wall, until I just decided to tear it down and just do it. There really is no other way to overcome this anxiety. We have to allow ourselves to make mistakes, to learn, to grow. Practice makes perfect, that's all there is to it! Good luck!

      Lise
      www.lisevilleneuve.com

      Delete