Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The C-word. Rob's first post.


Consciousness is a silly word. Of course, it stands for something that's not silly at all, but when I hear that word, it makes me want to yak. Figuratively speaking, of course... I just needed Tibetan imagery here in the spirit of the Dalai Lama and all.


We need a new word to talk about that state of being detached but not emotionless, of being fully present in the here and now without being oblivious to the future or the past. Kind of like that yak. He looks pretty conscious.

Some alternatives: Present? Aware? Attentive to very current events? I don't know. But (at the risk of sounding like even more of a leftie softie than simply blogging about this subject makes me sound), maybe it's better not to label it. I can talk about the subject without feeling uncomfortable, but I just cringe when I hear the c-word in this context. Because technically, we're all conscious. Consciousness is one of the only things you really have. You get it when you're born, and you have it (in most cases) until you die. No one in Lululemons can decide whether or not you're allowed on the consciousness bus. Find your own word, Lululemon people!  This one is taken.

So Lise asked me to talk about what I hoped to get out of this. I don't really hope for anything. One of my favourite activities is hitchhiking. I like hitchhiking because if you're prepared for everything (food, warm clothes, tent, and sleeping bag), then it doesn't really matter where you end up because it's always fine... as long as you don't get murdered, which hasn't happened to me, or any other semi-prepared hitchhiker as far as I can tell. So I guess my goal is not to get murdered.  Of course I'm going to hear something about the law of attraction and how I'm inviting trouble by saying something like that. OK... I'll put it on the record for everyone to see forever: if I get murdered, you were right, Lise. Use some of my life insurance money for "I should have listened to my wife" banners at the funeral. Seriously. I think that would be hilarious.

To answer Lise's question a bit more directly,  I consider this an adventure, just like hitchhiking, or moving to MontrĂ©al. Or anything, for that matter. Let's see where it takes us. Hopefully not to Laval. Sorry Laval.

And yes Dear, I can take out the garbage on Thursday. Thank you for the nice words in your recent post. But you and I both know I ain't got nothin' on that Yak. He's owning it!

P.S. why did "bitch chore" make it into our list of key words?  Law of attraction!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment