Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Strangest Thing Happened Over Christmas...


The strangest, most unexpected thing happened over the Christmas Holidays. I've talked a few times now about my addiction to lattés (steamed milk and coffee in the morning). Well, I've known for some time now how bad cow's milk is for the body -especially mine. I've suspected for a long while I had an intolerance to lactose (like many), due to heavy bloating and gas after drinking it. But despite knowing this, I had no intention of giving up milk any time soon, perhaps because I thought It would be too difficult to give up "the latté".


Well, my body tricked me. Just like that, it decided to get grossed out by the latté. How did this happen so suddenly? It started just before Christmas and I haven't had a latté since, it doesn't even appeal to me! Some days I don't even have coffee at all, other days I'll have a cup of the brewed stuff with water. Honestly, I feel so much better without all that bloating and gas (and so does my family...)

I think what happened was that I slowly introduced 'the green juice' first thing in the morning. Basically, it's a tablespoon of organic veggie powder with some lemon juice and water. Breakfast of champions! I drink the green slime before I eat anything else (to my children's horror!) and it gives my digestive tract a kick-start for the day. Now that I think of it, I've also been having lots of left-over quinoa and nuts after the juice. My body is probably just saying "thank you, now there is no way in hell you are going to screw everything up and send milk my way...I'm going to hijack your brain and make you hate the latté forever". Alright, I guess I'm ok with that, it was pretty effortless actually! 

Also, I'm proud to say my immune system passed the excellence test over the Holidays. Edmonton is having epidemics of the H1N1 flu, as well as the Norovirus (winter vomiting bug). Both my daughter and husband spent a good part of the Holidays with a fever, vomiting. My son had a cold with a perpetually runny nose. Somehow, I made it through these two weeks without getting sick. Santa must have been proud of me breaking the latté habit. Maybe he decided to give the Norovirus to someone else instead of me this year...

Happy New Year!

Lise

No comments:

Post a Comment